July 7, 2008

12 weeks pregnant


Today I had my first appointment at the Birth Center! It was fun. I was a little nervous all day; I'm not sure why. I got there and they showed me how to pee in a cup and then test my urine for sugar and protein. I have to do this every time I go and then I write it down in my chart.

Then I filled out tons of paperwork. When I got called they asked me about my medical history, etc. I had to get a pap smear and a pelvic exam. Then, I got to hear the baby's HEARTBEAT!!! At first I thought it was more swishy sounds from my belly but then I could hear one tiny fast heartbeat! (and my own, slower heartbeat.) It was really cute. I knew it would be cool, but I didn't quite expect to be so excited. They didn't order me an ultrasound, they didn't think I was high-risk, and they also didn't need to confirm the due date because I'm pretty normal for 12 weeks. She said I had a "nice roomy pelvis." She also didn't think there was a sign of twins, and even if I was pregnant with twins, I wouldn't look any bigger until 20 weeks. It's all uterus at this point. Maybe my baby likes space and wants a nice, big uterus? I guess it's still possible, but I won't know for sure until an ultrasound.
Also, this morning I called my regular doctor for the results of my breathing test. The tests were inconclusive and now I need to meet with a Pulmonologist to answer some questions. Kinda frustrating, but I'm hoping it just means that it could be pregnancy related, not an additional problem. That's all for now, I'm going to go work on my Friends marathon.

2 comments:

Charity said...

Congratulations!!! I remember hearing Adeline's heartbeat for the first time..it was amazing.

You should push for an ultra-sound though. High risk or not most women get one at 13 weeks. That way you have your beautiful baby to look at:)

Very happy for you,
Muskegon Beans

Suzy said...

Ooh, maybe I will be able to hear the heartbeats at my 12-week appt on Monday. So far they've only shown me the flickers on the ultrasound screen. And yes, push for an ultrasound ... it's the coolest thing ever!