December 19, 2008

36 Week Appointment!



YAY! I made it to the 36 week mark! Basically I can only have a baby at the birth center from 36 weeks to 42 weeks. Anything besides that and I would have to go to the hospital. I'm actually a little nervous because now that I'm at 36 weeks I'm totally expecting to go ANY time. I told Josh he needs to help me back to reality that I'm not really due for another 4 weeks and it could easily be 5 or 6. I'm in a bit of denial.
So today I had an appointment at the Birth Center. Today it was a bit more eventful. When the midwife was feeling my belly she said, "Oh, there's a Braxton Hicks Contraction!" I said, "THAT was one?" So I've been having those for months, now. Saturday I started to get them in a lower place and they hurt a lot more, I'm thinking real contractions? I thought I was just finally getting Braxton Hicks contractions. She explained that when my belly tightens up and she can't feel the baby is a Braxton Hicks. I just thought that whole time Viper was stretching out and being naughty. (Which he still does, but it's a little different.) She also couldn't quite tell if the baby was head down or not, because the back/bottom was so hard and she could move it around she thought that might be the head. So she did a surprise ultrasound just to make sure! That was a fun surprise. I got to see the head and the heartbeat and some tiny fingers. The duck was still in there; I'm starting to be a little paranoid that our baby is part duck. Turns out the baby actually is head down and everything looks good. I have a theory that the baby already dropped and that made it hard to find the head. I have tons of room at the top. I keep trying to tell Viper to take up some space up there to give the rest a break, but she just doesn't listen.
They also did the swab test for B Strep or something? Which totally hurt and it was just like a Q-tip. I have no idea how I'm going to handle pushing a huge baby out. I guess we'll get to that when it happens.
I had many, many more contractions today, too. I'm thinking I should actually time them, but I don't feel like it yet. Too much work. I was actually joking with Josh about waking up and finding a baby in our bed. Wouldn't that be weird? I don't think I'll actually sleep through it, but wouldn't that be nice?
I'm actually not quite ready for the baby to come yet. I still have a lot of cleaning to do. So she'll just have to wait.

1 comment:

Jess said...

Hi :) I found your blog via Julie's blog... I'm also a friend of Danielle's... anyway, I wanted to encourage you a bit about having the baby at the birth center. I've had all 3 of my kids there. The most recent was born on October 20th! The midwives are amazing and the experiences I've had are priceless. It's the kind of situation that you come out of with the feeling of being able to do almost anything! I do hope it's a wonderful time for you and your hubby. Blessings! :)