December 15, 2009

Milk...and Cookies, of Course!

So the battle with giving Brooklynn some type of bottle or sippy cup continues. I swore off buying a 9th type of bottle to try long ago but finally broke down and bought a Dr. Brown's last night. I thought maybe since Brooklynn's cousin Andrew took that kind maybe she would like it, too. I have stopped nursing Brooke cold turkey on my right side until my cut heals. I have a milk blister and because of that I also have a pretty deep sore which the combination is brutally painful. Just thinking about having to nurse Brooke on it makes me feel like I'm going to throw up. So, I decided just to use my left side and to pump the right. (Way less painful.) The downside is that Brooke still won't take the milk. She has been liking her sippy cup, but only with water. I put some breastmilk in it this morning and she tasted it and then spit it out all over her. The bottle didn't really work, either. I think we worked on it for a few hours last night and she might have gotten 1/2 an ounce out of it.
Last night was rough because Brooke couldn't figure out why she was still hungry, I'm sure. But every time she nurses on that side she opens up the wound again and makes it worse. I'm thinking because of the blister not all the milk is coming out? so she sucks even harder.
Sorry to be so graphic for any guys reading this.
ANYWAY....the funny part of the story. This morning when I was pumping Brooklynn found the pack of Oreos that Josh left on the couch and literally opened it all by herself, took out a cookie and started to eat it with the biggest smile on her face. It was hilarious. I just let her because I was so impressed, and figured she deserved it if she was that skilled to get it in the first place. Yes, it was 7:30 am, but still. It was almost like she was saying, "MOM, you know I don't like to drink milk in a cup...UNLESS I have an oreo to go with it." I can't blame her. Good for you, Brooklynn.
(In case you're wondering why my poor daughter is topless, she kept spitting her milk ALL over her shirt and it was completely soaked. It's actually still wet 3 hours later.)

1 comment:

Charity said...

I hope maybe you will have better luck next try with the Dr. Brown bottle. Is Josh trying to feed her with it or you? Andrew wouldn't take it from me at first, just James and he had to be hungry and I had to be out of the room. Just a thought, sorry you are in so much pain...glad you can pump though to relieve the pressure.