January 24, 2009

Kidney Stone vs. Childbirth

Kidney Stones
+doesn't kick me constantly
+recovery time=2 days, tops
-I never "tried" to get kidney stones
+in and out in about 3 days
+morphine=sheer bliss
-no "kidney stone showers" whatsoever
+only kept me up at night once
+total cost=$150 (ER visit plus prescriptions)
+delivered in the privacy of my own bathroom
-was surprised at how much it hurt
+recovered after about 36 hours
+never caused me additional symptoms

Childbirth
+pregnancy jabbing pains were cute despite the uninvited pain
+we tried to get pregnant on purpose
-took 9 months of it being inside me
-contractions=hell on earth
+epidural=sheer bliss+love all those baby showers and presents! It's so fun!
-still recovering after 1 week
-struggled with constipation, gas, sciatica, charlie horses, cramping, fatness, stretch marks
+I came home with a beautiful baby girl--NO CONTEST

So to sum it up, when I was admitted to the ER with kidney stones, I ranked my pain at about an 8. There were parts in childbirth that were in the hundreds when it came to pain, but also many moments that were pain-free. The kidney stone hurt without a break. But childbirth HANDS DOWN is more painful. There you go, spoken from someone who had both.

No comments: