November 18, 2010

Buh-Gah!


So last week I started Brooklynn's Christmas List. I asked her what she wanted and actually wrote down her gibberish that she was saying. When I looked at several of the responses, I noticed that most of them were "ba ga" she kept saying it over and over. At first glance I thought, "Oh, isn't that sweet, she wants her sister GABBY to come for Christmas." But then when I heard her say "Gabby" it was clearly different so I knew it must be something else.
Here's the problem....she clearly wants a "bugga" but I had NO IDEA what that was. All of the options I thought it sounded like she has different words for. "Bugs" she calls all of them "bees". "Books" she hands us a book and says "ree, rea!" I tried looking through an entire catalogs and seeing if she could show me a picture of a "bugga" and nope. We also thought MAYBE it could be a "buggy" like a stroller, but I don't think she would learn that term b/c we have never called it a buggy. And I've pointed at one and she just says "baby." I was completely stumped. She was quite insistant. EVERY time I would ask her (except when I tried to get these videos of course) she would answer "buh-gah!" Sometimes very excitedly, "bugga, buga buga buga!!!"
I even took her to Toys R Us, and although we got tons of fun ideas for Christmas, she never found a "bugga" to show me.
Maybe it's a baseball, she knows how to say "ball" pretty well, though, so I didn't really think it was that.
Then today I babysat for Kassidy. She is two years old. I thought maybe, just maybe she could translate for me. So I asked her if she knew what a "buh-gah" was and she just looked at me like, "DUH." I asked her if she had one that she could show me and she tried to show be but I still wasn't getting it. And to make matters even more confusing, she ALSO just kept on saying, "it's a bugga!" So I have two little girls telling me this. So I looked at Kassidy and asked her if she could think of a different thing to call it. She finally said, "bucket" and a lightbulb went off in my head like, "THAT MIGHT BE IT!!!" We have two buckets, one we keep dirty rags in or use to mop the floor, and one I use for her diapers to bring to her diaper bag so they're both pretty nasty. Brooklynn loves to play with these buckets and I had to tell her she couldn't play with them any more because they were dirty. I've never heard her call them a bugga, but I thought it was just a random word that sounded like that so I thought maybe. I still wasn't sure and we happened to stop at Michaels craft store on the way home. They had some purple buckets there on the Halloween 80% off shelf and so I asked her if that was a bugga and she shook her head yes, and responded with "bugga bugga bugga!!!" So I put one in our cart. It ended up only costing me 20 cents. Sweet!

But...oh no...watch this video. Is it really a bucket after all? I'm just going to say that it is, call it a day and unless she learns how to say it more clearly tell her that is what she wanted. (We're going to get her a few other things, too.) Now I just have to manage to hide the bucket so it's a surprise for Christmas. It's hard to keep things a surprise when they go shopping with you.
Here are a few bloopers for ya. Brooklynn never acts like she usually does when the camera is rolling.
Thank you to all you Facebookers out there who helped me solved the big mystery. It was amusing to see what you came up with.

No comments: