June 13, 2010

"Stealers"


So we termed the word "stealers" to be something very special in our family. Only a few times a year do we get the treat of German Chocolate Cake in the Ashley house. First of all both of my sisters don't like it so they never want it for their birthdays, and usually my Mom makes a different type of cake for her birthday, so it's usually up to my Dad and me. My Mom only has 2 8-inch cake pans and one 9-inch cake pan. A German Chocolate Cake is three layers, so my Mom uses the three pans of different sizes and cuts the one pan down to size to be 8-inches. We won't let her get another 8-inch pan, because then we would miss out on the "stealers". The term "stealers" actually refers to the pieces of cake that have been cut off the 9-inch cake and are left-over. These can be eaten at anytime, including BEFORE we cut the birthday cake. There is also a little bit of extra frosting leftover that you can spread on or dip your stealers into.
(Technically, "stealers" can be things other than the German Chocolate Cake pieces, sometimes it is those cookies that accidentally break, or maybe something burns a little bit. Basically the "crap stuff" you don't want to serve to guests. Make no mistake, though, "stealers" are NOT crap, just not as pretty.)

So anyway, this year since it was MY birthday, it means the stealers are up for grabs for me. This year, however, Brooklynn, my little stinker of a daughter STOLE my stealers right from under my nose and gobbled almost all of them up herself. I think she already has no trouble fitting in with our family.
By the way, this year was THE BEST German Chocolate Cake my Mom has ever made, who makes the best German Chocolate Cake ever, so it was pretty much the best cake I've ever had. Thanks, Mom!








If that wasn't bad enough, a few days later, my parent's neighbor brought them over some other cake she made. My Dad put it on the table out the of way of the kids. My Dad later said to me, "Brooklynn really has her eye on that cake!" So I went into the kitchen with my camera and she had already crawled up onto the chair and couldn't quite reach the cake. So she proceeded to climb ONTO the table to have easier access. I didn't want to stop her because it was just too funny that she did that. I let her have a little bit and then got her down. Man, she loves cake!












No comments: