December 17, 2010

Give it Up for Mary

So I read Brooklynn the story of Christmas today at naptime. I was reminded of so many things I admire about Mary.
First of all...besides having to give birth in a stable in the hay (all pretty impressive), what really floored me was riding on a donkey for a long distance while 9 months pregnant. I would NOT have been ok with any of that. Perhaps that is why God picked her.
I'm especially dreading the long 10 hour DRIVE in my cozy, warm car while pregnant. I don't know how she handled donkey-back. Not fun. And then we have the nice feature of once we get there to relax and be comfortable in a nice warm bed. Nope, Mary went straight to the stable and then she had to give birth. In a pile of hay.
I'm counting my blessings this Christmas. And even though I can sort of relate to Mary, just a little bit because I'm pregnant and travelling...she had it worse. Then again she probably got just a little bit of extra pain relief sent from God because it was His son. (my guess...?) Maybe she was one of those really easy births that it didn't really hurt that bad and it was quick and relatively easy. I would hope so. I can't wait to ask her about it someday.
Also, I still have a month (and maybe a little more) to go.
So good job, Mary. Not only am I grateful to you for birthing Jesus, but you did the whole thing without complaining. (at least that we know about.)
Then again, according to the song "Away in a Manger" Jesus was a great baby and a great sleeper. And He also was the perfect son. He probably didn't even ever throw a temper tantrum. Maybe I would take the birth in the hay.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often think about that - giving birth in a stable on hay and the miracle that the baby even survived. I also often think that there MUST have been someone else there - a "midwife" of sorts who knew what to do (maybe one of the inn keepers?) I mean, would Joseph have known how to cut the cord, etc.??? I know my hubby sure wouldn't!

Suzy said...

Like, like, like! I was pregnant during the Christmas season, too, and had many of the same thoughts. Love the way you phrased them. Merry Christmas, Bethany!