October 27, 2010

I've Created a Monster...

So Brooklynn LOVES cookies. It's getting a little out of control, actually. I don't blame her but there are times when she has cried all through dinner because we weren't having a main course of just cookies.
ALSO, she is going through her hitting phase and that is getting out of control. Cece (or other random kid that is around) will be sitting there playing, minding there own business, and Brooklynn will just come up to her and hit her, sometimes with a toy like the toy is a drumstick and poor other child is a drum.
Where does this come from? She used to be such a sweet baby! So I tried putting her in a time out, we've tried hitting her hand but Josh and I both feel like that will just encourage MORE hitting. So Friday I had a breakthrough and after she hit Cece and after her timeout, I explained again that hitting is NOT OK and she will not get any cookies the entire day. So that is the new rule. If she hits her (or anyone else) she doesn't get a cookie. Then Saturday when no one was there to hit she asked for a cookie and I said something like, "lets see, did you hit Cece today? No? Ok, you can have a cookie." Yes, it was the weekend but poor Brooklynn might never get any cookies except on days when she doesn't see any other kids. How sad is that? But then to my surprise....Monday came around and Brooklynn didn't hit her the entire day! I was so proud. So I gave her not only a cookie, but two cookies and some ice cream. Overkill, yes. Bribery at it's worst....probably. But hey, if it helps her not hit other kids I'm totally willing to bribe her, at least at first. Then, Tuesday, she hit BOTH Kasidy AND Cece so again she didn't get a cookie. I feel like for Brooklynn it's the worse punishment but hey, different methods work for different kids.

1 comment:

Suzy said...

HA, great idea! Get 'em where it hurts! :)