January 19, 2011

38 1/2 weeks

So today I had another appointment! I can't believe my due date is quickly approaching! On one had this labor has FLOWN by, on the other hand it seems like it's been an eternity and I've been pregnant FOR EV ER! Either way, I'm ready. I'm ready to be able to walk easier, to cut my own toenails, pick up Brooklynn again, and mostly meet our new baby, Gabriella!!!
So I asked the Birth Center when they start checking to see if I'm dilated. They said they really don't do it, because it can't really predict when you're going into labor. I could be not dilated at all and still go into labor and have my baby tonight, or I could be several centimeters dilated and it still be weeks away. I already knew all this but I was still curious, plus Josh kept asking me to have them check.
I actually did feel like IF for some reason I was dilated, that would really convince me that it was better than my first labor. Just because when I do finally go into labor, I'd have less to dilate!
So she checked me and I was 1 1/2 centimeters dilated!! My cervix is still posterior (which it will be until I'm in labor, I guess?) and long. She also explained that with your first labor you tend to efface first and THEN dilate. With your second, it's very common to be the opposite and dilate first and then efface.
Either way, she checked my chart with Brooklynn and at 39 1/2 weeks I was exactly the same, except completely closed. Then at 40 1/2 I was soft, and barely dilated at all...but that was the same day I went into labor. So it's at least progress, and I'm so excited about that.
Brooklynn was a champ at my appointment. We even brought her doctor stuff and her baby and she helped listen to my belly, and her baby's belly. It was really cute.

No comments: