January 20, 2011

The Counter is No Longer Childproof.

So we used to just put things on our counter that we didn't want Brooklynn to get. Various choking hazards, sharp knives, hot pans, candy...etc.
I think it started with the candy, she FOUND her way up there somehow to get the candy. Sometimes we let her have some because she's being so resourceful to get it. (If we put it RIGHT in the middle she can't get it, but if it's closer to one side, she finds the right side and runs to it to grab the candy.)
So the other day she burnt her hand on a hot glue gun (cooling off, but still). I had burnt my hand and went to get a band aid. I told her not to touch, put it on the counter--I thought far enough out of reach. Nope. She was busy drawing at her desk so I thought everything was fine. I came back with the band-aids and she ran to her hiding place that she goes to when she doesn't want me to know she's doing something, and then she started crying and showed me her hand. POOR Brooklynn! Later when I put the glue gun away she pointed to it and said, "hot!" and started crying. I guess she's learning a little...it's just so hard. I HATE burns and she kept showing me her hand all day for a few days and saying "boo boo! hot!"
This morning she went to that same hiding spot and I went to look at what she was doing. She managed to grab my container of fish oil pills off the counter, open the lid and looked like she was going to try and eat some. She LOVES her vitamins and knows these are Mommy's vitamins...well I took them away. She got SO mad at me and started crying like she really wanted some. So I gave her one. I said, "you're not going to like it! They're yucky!" (They really are, I even swallow them whole but burp up fish for a few hours afterwards.)
So she bit into it and then looked completely repulsed. Gave it back to me, and then looked even more grossed out like, "WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?!?" I thought it was all pretty amusing. I tried to warn her. I guess I get a "bad Mommy award" for that one, but I figured she needed to learn that I'm not just saying no for my health...I honestly knew she would hate it. Sometimes we learn the hard way. I guess Brooklynn needs to learn a few of these lessons on her own.
And I need to keep my counter cleared off. Of EVERYTHING. I'm running out of places to put stuff that she can't get. I need to build myself a really high shelf or something. With her height and her climbing skills...I don't think it will matter anyway.

No comments: