February 8, 2011

Billy Rubin

So "Billy Rubin" refers to Gabriella's very first boyfriend! (Stole that from the Murrays.)
Anyway, Gabby's Bilirubin levels have been high ever since birth. She was born Coombs positive, and A+ blood type, mine is O+. So basically her tiny body is fighting off my blood like it's poison. This gives her a higher chance to be jaundiced and have high bilirubin levels. 
Her day after appointment (Thursday the 3rd) she was at 9.2 and they were concerned that it was a little high. She got tested AGAIN on Saturday at our home visit and she was at 14.1. When the pediatrician found this out they called at almost 9 pm to tell me I needed to test her AGAIN TOMORROW. I won't go into that too much but lets just say her bedside manner put me into a freaking out mess...told me I could need a blood transfusion for her and could cause severe mental retardation. Meanwhile I'm trying to stay positive that my little baby is going to be fine and she's perfect. So we went in Sunday and her levels were down to 12.8. Yay! Then we had our follow-up appointment on Monday and he said at this stage they usually don't do anything else; just keep feeding her and making sure she's making plenty of poopy diapers. (DON'T WORRY--she's got both of those very well covered.)
So all is well, even though they had me scared for a while.
Here are some pictures of little Gabby sunbathing to try and UV-ray some of the jaundice out. (Sadly, only one of the days has been sunny. It IS February. Can't we catch a break?)
Brooklynn likes to peak at her all the time.
Here she is getting her blood check. They did this card thing and took another vile of blood for the bilirubin test. She didn't even make a single peep when they stuck her. I think she was thinking, "Oh well, here's my daily bilirubin test." She is a trooper, she does wail like we're torturing her when we have to change her diaper OR get her dressed, but seems pretty good with needles. I guess pick your battles, right?

No comments: