February 15, 2011

Gabby--2 weeks

Gabby is pretty easy going but she really hates to: 
  • not be eating 
  • Be poopy or wet 
  • Be changed (diaper OR clothes) 
  • not be held
She eats so much that one of her new nicknames is "Grubriella" I also call her Gabs, Crabriella (when she is crying) and sometimes I shorten Grubriella to just Grubs. Hey, it makes me laugh to myself which helps me keep my sanity which helps me get through this very demanding period of newborn. 
We've actually figured out that if I keep her in the Moby Wrap all morning, she sleeps and I can play with Brooklynn. So far this week we have gone outside most of the morning because it's been so nice. I'm not looking forward to the cold coming back next week. Then I either take a nap with Gabby in the afternoon, or I put her back in the Moby. Very very occasionally I can trick her and actually put her down for a nap. Most of the time this lasts for about 5 minutes and she gets mad at me that I put her down. I'm trying to cherish this time, I know pretty soon she will outgrow it and I'll be sad she doesn't let me hold her when she sleeps anymore.
We've also figured out that she can breastfeed lying down! So I do this at night and she eventually falls asleep and I don't have to move her. This has been SUCH an amazing revelation. Brooklynn never could do this, so at first it didn't occur to me to try. I would nurse her, she'd fall asleep and then I'd put her down (just like I used to do with Brooke) and then she would wake up. REPEAT seven times in a row and then make Josh take over. This new way is so much easier. Thanks, Gabby! My life is so much better now. And I love all the extra sleep I'm getting.
We also have learned that Gabby LOVES to sleep on her stomach. I know, I know....these days this is a major no-no. So I do it just at nap time and only then does she actually sleep. She's right next to me so I keep an eye on her and then I'm finally able to put her down. I let her sleep on her side at night since she nurses lying down. 
And, sweet Gabby dear. Your sister Brooklynn finally broke the "nice to her sister" routine and slapped you in the head. On Valentine's Day. I find the whole situation somewhat ironic. Don't worry, Brooklynn got in big trouble. You were eating so you weren't even phased by the entire thing. I'm glad you're proving to be a tough girl so far.

No comments: