August 3, 2010

Adventures in Potty Training pt. 2


(continued pt. 1)
July 24, 2010-Today Brooklynn was playing in the bathroom while I was using it. All of a sudden she realized what I was doing and then she went over to her potty and tried to pull it out so she could sit on it. So I pulled her pants down and took off her diaper and sure enough she went! This was the first sign of her "telling me" that she had to use the potty. What a big girl.
July 26, 2010-Today I put some rubber stamps and an ink pad in the bathroom. Whenever Brooklynn uses the potty she gets a stamp on her hand. She rubs it right away until it comes off, but this is a fun game for her.
We have also been letting her try and use the potty several times a day. Most of the time she goes right away. When she doesn't have to she just looks down kind of annoyed like, "HEY, I wanted to pee in the potty!" We have been putting her on right before bedtime every single night, I just like to get in the habit of doing this every night.

July 27, 2010-Tonight we bought Brooklynn the kind of potty seat that goes right on the potty. These are SO much easier to use and I love them. I'm excited she can go right into the potty instead of having to dump the pee in the potty from her other potty. It just seems like an unnecessary step.
July 29, 2010-Today Brooklynn went over to the bathroom door and stood there tugging at her diaper. So I put her on the potty and she peed! She is doing SO good, way better than I ever expected from her this soon. Every time she pees a tiny bit at the beginning she starts clapping and gets so excited. It's ADORABLE. She is so proud of herself, and we are proud of her, too.
July 30, 2010-Today the rest of Brooklynn's diapers I just doubled for naptime and bedtime. I figured I would use her other kind that you use the liner and then a reusable outside part during the day because she has been keeping her daytime diapers almost all the way dry. I'm really excited that maybe I won't have to wash her diapers as often. I think I only washed them once last week because they lasted so long! (It used to be every 3 days) I'm pretty far off from trusting her to not wear one when she sleeps. Mostly because that is usually when she poops, and also if she has an accident I HATE changing crib sheets, especially when I'm pregnant. I don't think I will try this until at least after the baby comes or if she randomly keeps her diapers dry the entire naptime and bedtime for like a week or two straight in a row. (She also takes pretty long naps so they get pretty soaked then.)
July 31, 2010-Today Brooklynn pooped in her potty!!! It kinda slipped out and it wasn't a lot but we were all very excited.
August 3, 2010-Today we watched Brooklynn's potty video together. She loved it and was dancing along with them. So fun. At the end there is a parent's guide and one of the questions is "what age should you start" and he said definitely not before the age of 2 and the avg. age is 2 1/2...That is what I was originally thinking I would do but Brooklynn seems to be doing so great should I stop? I'm not expecting her to be able to do all of her bathroom stuff on her potty until about then but she is seriously doing so great I am going to keep doing what I'm doing. I've heard of people really regressing when they start too early, the kids get "burnt out" from trying. I just figured it was trying too much and then not getting any results, but she continues to pee almost every time we put her on the potty. I guess it really is true that every kid is different. Brooklynn has always been trying to act older than she is, just so fast to grow up. :( It's hard for me, but that is just who she is so we're trying to embrace it and let her set her own pace.

No comments: