March 21, 2011

The Drive Home

How a "9" hour drive quickly turns into a "12" hour drive. Every time we stop it's at least for a 1/2 hour. Actually, the best time we've ever made it from Philly to Michigan was 9 1/2 hours and we packed our lunch, only stopped for gas and I drove most of the time. (Does that mean I drive a little faster than Josh?)
We used to average about 10 hours and now we get excited if it's under 12 hours. I think our longest time was 15 1/2 hours driving through a snow storm. Regardless...the drive sucks. 
So the drive back to PA was a lot worse than coming to Indy. a LOT worse.
Gabby cried on and off the entire trip. She cried constantly from Michigan until we got to Cleveland. (That's about 3 hours, people.) We tried stopping, we changed her, offered her more milk, nothing was working. She just likes to be held. It went a little more like I thought the ENTIRE drive would be both ways, so I'm thankful we got a little break on the way out. My arms ached from holding in her pacifier, while bouncing her entire car seat AND base--attached to the car--up and down for 3 hours to try and get her calmed down. It was not fun. Of course she did take a good nap...but it was when I was driving so Josh got to rest. I tried to drive as long as possible but then both kids started breaking down so we stopped. (Check out the video.)
Mostly Brooklynn did AWESOME. She has been so great on road trips the last few times we've done the drive. She gets bonus points.
Here is Brooklynn. She would normally be sleeping but Gabby is crying again and I think it's keeping her up. Poor Brooklynn.
Our ACTUAL arrival time. Not too bad considering all the stops we made.

No comments: