March 17, 2011

The Drive

Overall the drive to Indy was MUCH better than I was expecting. Gabby got into her car seat and was actually pretty pleasant while we finished loading the car. Right about the time when we were leaving she started to get fussy. I decided to heat up a bottle to bring with us and all I had was frozen milk. So as I was running it under the hot water to thaw it right when it was almost all melted I noticed there was hardly ANY left...I guess there was a hole in the bag and I literally washed 4 ounces of breast milk down the drain. GREAT. I had a 1/2 ounce left in that bag and I was LIVID. It took me several minutes and I wasn't about to do it again. So she only had a tiny  bit of milk to top her off. Luckily it worked and she fell asleep. We did have to pull over after a while and heat up 2 bottles for both girls. I bought a bottle warmer for the trip but my car converter thing wasn't strong enough (or working at all...) so I just plugged it in to the side of the rest area building.
We had a few crying moments but nothing bad until about 11 pm to 12 pm...Gabby screamed the whole time and Brooklynn was in the fetal position in her car seat with a look on her face like, "STOP THE CRYING!! WHY AM I HERE?!?!?!" Poor Brooklynn.
We made it to Indy a little after 1 am. (Right at about 12 hours.)

Gabby was such a good girl and took a nap (although it was short) the morning we left so I could finish packing.
We got Brooklynn a Princess tag jr. book for the trip. She was really excited to have a present AND that it was a princess book!

Gabby took a few bottles on our drive. This was great news because we could keep on driving!
Yup, this is me in the back seat. In between two car seats. And yes, I crawled back there WHILE driving...and back into the front seat after Gabby had her bottle and I read with Brooklynn for a little bit. It was quite the sight to see...and my leg almost stayed back there forever. But I managed.

Soon after both girls fell asleep we were running low on gas. We tried to sneak a stop in and fill up but of course as soon as we stopped they both woke up. I decided to feed Gabby and send Brooklynn with Josh to get dinner since we were stopped anyway. When they got back Gabby was fed, and changed so we got back in the car. It was too hard to crawl in the back again and help Brooklynn eat so we just let her have the whole burger. 

After dinner we pulled out the DVD player. Brooklynn was super excited to watch "princess".

No comments: